welcome in Kimle
Kimle is a large village of 2300 inhabitants in Győr-Moson-Sopron country, on both sides of the Danube of Moson. It is one of the ten settlements in the country which are devided by a river and connected by a bridge. The large village came into existence in 1966 with the union of Horvátkimle, Magyarkimle and Novákpuszta. Three nationalities have been living here in peace for centuries. The Croatian population arrived in 1534, the German-speaking inhabitants at the end of the 18th century. The oldest of the three Roman Catholic churches is the Blessed Virgin Mary’s one standing in Magyarkimle since the 13th century. It received its today shape at the time of the baroque reconstruction in the 17th century. Its medieval embrasure-like windows and the portal were empha-sized. Marble slabes with the list of the World Wars' heroes were put on the walls in honour of the relocated Germans. The baroque Trinity statue is standing in the near, under a 110 years old time tree. The statue of King Béla IV. was put up in the year of the Millennium by the bridgehead of the Danube bridge. The gothic St. Michael’s church in Horvátkimle was finished in 1780. Next to the church, there can be found the carved monument of the priest-poet Mate Meršić Miloradić who did a lot for the Croatians of Kimle. In the „1848 Square” there is a monument built for the 450th anniversary of the Croatians' settlement and the obelisk erected over the graves of soldiers of 1848. The chestnut tree alley along the road leading the cemetery. It was planted in honour of the First World War's heroes in 1932 and it is one of the most beautiful military memorial places. The heroes’ names are preserved by a board on the wall of the church. Carved stations of the cross were put among the huge trees in the 1990s. A part of Kimle, Novákpuszta lies east from the village. In the 19th century, the settlement was owned by the Andrássy earls who had a hunting-seat built here. The Vilmos Apor Church was started to be built on local initiative, and it was sanctified in 2007. The protected natural environment on both banks of the Danube of Moson offers great hiking opportunities.